Brilliant Thoughts of Fernando Pessoa I



  • "All is worthwhile if the soul is not small."



  • "I bear the wounds of all the battles I avoided."




  • " I wasn't meant for reality, but life came and found me."





  • "I'd woken up early, and I took a long time getting ready to exist."




  • "We never love anyone. What we love is the idea we have of someone. It's our own concept - our own selves - that we love."



  • "We worship perfection because we can't have it; if we had it, we would reject it. Perfection is inhuman, because humanity is imperfect."




  • "To know nothing about yourself is to live. To know yourself badly is to think."



  • "The inventor of the mirror poisoned the human heart."



  • "Whether or not they exist, we are slaves to our gods."



  • "Without madness what is man, but a wholesome beast,postponed corpse that breeds"




  • "I'm the empty stage where various actors act out various plays."




  • "There's something vile in the tendency of feeble men to make universal tragedies out of the sad comedies of their private woes."




  • "I always live in the present. The future I can'y know. The past I no longer have."




  • "Oh salty sea, how much of your salt are tears from Portugal?"




  • "All beginning are involuntary".




  • "There's no regret more painful than the regret of things that never were".




  • "Better to dream than to be."




  • "My past is everything I failed to be".




  • "What is art but the denial of life?"




  • "Art gives us the illusion of liberation from the sordid business of being".




  • "Beauty is the name of something that doesn't exist".





- Fernando Pessoa
Portuguese poet, writer and philosopher 









Popular Posts