Brilliant Thoughts of Fernando Pessoa II



Almada Negreiros painting 
of Fernando Pessoa

  • " If the heart could think it would stop beating."


  • "I look at myself but I'm missing me. I know myself. It's not me."

  • "If you cannot live alone, you were born a slave."


  • "My soul is the present shadow of a presence gone."


  • "To love is to tire of being alone. It's therefore a cowardice, a betrayal of ourselves."


  • "The man is the size of his dream."


  • "Literature exists because the world isn't enough."


  • "I am the centre of everything surrounded by the great nothing."


  • "Does the peace I feel when I see you, belong to you or to me?"


  • "As adults our life is reduced to giving alms to others and receiving them in return. We squander our personalities in orgies of coexistence."


  • "Renunciation is liberation. Not wanting is power."


  • "Each person is only the dream of themselves."


  • "To need to dominate others is to need others. The commander is dependent."


  • "In each corner of my soul there's an altar to a different god."


  • "The whole life is a war and the battle the synthesis of life."


  • "The universe isn't mine. It's me."


  • "I am the escaped one. My soul seeks me through hills and valley. I hope my soul never finds me."


  • "All it takes to be complete is to exist."


  • "But if God is the flowers and trees and hills and sun and moon. Then why should I call him God? And not flowers and trees and hills and sun and moon?"


  • "I'm beginning to know myself. I don't exist. I'm the space between what I'd like to be and what others made of me. Just let me be at ease and all by myself in my room."


- Fernando Pessoa
Portuguese poet, writer and philosopher





Popular Posts